It’s the most wonderful time in Del Ray! The holiday season reflects the community’s reputation as a dining, retail, wellness, and arts destination in the region, along with its commitment to supporting Alexandria non-profits year-round. Here are five ways to get in the holiday spirit along Mount Vernon Avenue:
- Del Ray Holiday Season Kick-Off: The Del Ray community will come together on Sun., Dec 5 at 6 p.m. for the annual Christmas tree lighting, Menorah lighting, and holiday carols by the Alexandria Kinderchoir at the Pat Miller Neighborhood Square, located at the intersection of Mount Vernon and Oxford Avenues. Participants are urged to bring new full-size lotions, deodorants, and body wash; ground coffee, or flip flops/shower shoes in various sizes for Carpenter’s Shelter. Continue the celebration (and start your holiday shopping!) with a stroll down Mount Vernon Avenue, which will be illuminated by thousands of luminarias in honor of the late Nancy Dunning.
- Shops of Del Ray’s Holiday Sip & Shop: Join the Shops of Del Ray for special extended shopping hours on Th., Dec. 6 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. to shop sooner, shop local, and enjoy special promotions and complimentary wine and refreshments.
- 6th Annual Candy Cane Bar Crawl: Take a break from the bustle of holiday preparations and enjoy specials at top Del Ray restaurants during a neighborhood beer crawl on Sat., Dec. 11 from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Advance tickets are $15, with proceeds benefiting Neighborhood Health. Click here for tickets.
- Del Ray Holiday Pop-Up Market: Find one-of-a-kind gifts made by local artisans and at-home entrepreneurs on Sat., Dec. 11 from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Pat Miller Neighborhood Square.
- Twelve Days of Wellness in Del Ray: From Dec. 8-19, the Del Ray wellness community will offer twelve days of tips and special promotions focused on self-care during the busy holiday season.
- Holidays On Main Street: Local artists have been commissioned to complete hand-painted holiday windows at businesses along Mount Vernon Avenue. Complete a scavenger hunt of the painted windows (available starting Dec. 5) for the chance to win gift cards to your favorite small businesses in Del Ray.
All events are presented by the Del Ray Business Association, which represents the independently-owned shops, retailers, and businesses in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria. For complete information, visit www.visitdelray.com.