“Sunbaaaathing” by Guy Jones
June 04, 2021
June 26, 2021
Del Ray Artisans, 2704 Mount Vernon Avenue
The Naked and the Newt: Studies in Human and Herpeton Anatomy Art Exhibit
June 4 – 26, 2021
Come see The Naked and the Newt: Studies in Human and Herpeton Anatomy art exhibit to see how artists explore the human body and reptiles / amphibians / herpetons. This exhibition investigates conceptions of anatomy, texture, and conservation with our partners, the Virginia Herpetological Society, and runs June 4-26, 2021 at Del Ray Artisans gallery in the Colasanto Center, 2704 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, Virginia 22301. The gallery is free, open to the public, and accessible.
Reserve a ticket for a half-hour viewing during the extended hours on opening day: Friday, June 4 between 12-8pm. Opening day tickets are not required, but ticket holders have priority entry. The gallery capacity is limited to 10 people at any one time in order to facilitate social distancing.
Regular gallery hours are Thursdays 12-6pm, Fridays 12-6pm, and Saturdays 12-4pm. This exhibit will also be open during these extended hours:
- First Thursday Sneak Peek, June 3, 12-9pm
- Saturday, June 5, 12-8pm
- Sunday, June 6, 12-4pm (Meet the Curator!)
- Friday, June 11, 12-8pm
- Saturday, June 12, 11am-8pm
- Sunday, June 13, 12-4pm (Meet the Curator!)
- Friday, June 25, 12-8pm
The Naked and the Newt is brought to you by Del Ray Artisans and the Virginia Herpetological Society.
Also register now for workshops taught by local artists and free talks by the Virginia Herpetological Society. These special events are offered in conjunction with the exhibit:
- ONLINE TALK: Our National Symbol – an evidence based argument for why salamanders should replace the bald eagle on Thursday, June 10 from 6:30-7:30pm (FREE! Register by 4:30pm on June 10)
- OUTDOOR EVENT: Live Animal Drawing on Saturday, June 12 from 11am-6pm (Just $7 for a half-hour! Register by June 9)
- IN-PERSON WORKSHOP: Playing with Resin on Monday, June 14 from 6-9pm (Register by June 11)
- ONLINE WORKSHOP: Crochet for Beginners on Saturday, June 19 from 1-3pm (Register by June 12)
- ONLINE WORKSHOP: Draw the Human Figure – Anatomical Sketching on Sunday, June 20 from 1-3pm (Register by June 13)
- ONLINE TALK: Turtles of Virginia – Life History and Conservation on Friday, June 25 from 6:30-7:30pm (FREE! Register by 5pm on June 25)