Farther Afield Art Exhibit
September 1–30, 2023
Opening Reception: Friday, September 1 from 7–9pm
Art allows the viewer to travel and experience new sights without leaving home. The Farther Afield art exhibit takes this literally by celebrating artwork that takes us outside of our day-to-day lives to locations far and wide. Whether depicting a scene from a day trip or from halfway across the world, these artworks transport the viewer away from Alexandria to new cities, states, countries, and continents.
Join us for the opening reception on Friday, September 1 between 7-9pm to meet curator Alexandra Schmeling and the artists. Mark your calendar now or set a reminder through Eventbrite.
There’s more to see at Del Ray Artisans in September. Browse Halloween-inspired creations during our HalloWEIRD outdoor art market on Saturday, September 23 from 10am to 4pm. The market is family-friendly and takes place rain-or-shine. You can also check out our September programs:
- Creative Canvas Workshop on Saturday, Sept 2 from 9am-12pm – Learn how to creatively choose a canvas to amplify the message you are trying to communicate and create a painting on the object. Register by Aug 28.
- Life Drawing Session on Tuesday, Sept 5, 7-9pm – Drop-in with your art supplies to draw or paint our nude model. Please do not bring acrylics or oil paints.
- First Thursday: Star Wars Day in a Neighborhood Far, Far Away on Sept 7, 6-8pm (FREE) – Drop in for an outdoor activity in our gardens and check out the exhibit inside the gallery.
- Beaded Lanyard Thingies Workshop on Saturday, Sept 9 from 9am-12pm – Get a great introduction to off-loom bead weaving as you learn to make your own lanyard/glasses keeper. Register by Sept 4.
- Stretchy Bracelets with Healing Properties Workshop on Saturday, Sept 16 from 6-9pm – Design and make two stretchy bracelets out of a selection of semi-precious stones, crystals, and accent beads. Register by Sept 11.
- Partners in Art Evening – Tuesday, September 19, 7-9pm (FREE) – Join our art-support group to share one or two artworks, any medium, in any stage, for advice and feedback. RSVP in advance.
- Nature Journaling Club – Saturday, September 30, 10am-12pm (FREE) – Drop-in with your sketchbook and art supplies to sketch in our gardens, then share your drawings with the group. This program is held outdoors and will be canceled in the event of rain.
The Farther Afield exhibit runs September 1–30, 2023 at Del Ray Artisans gallery in the Colasanto Center, 2704 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, Virginia 22301. Gallery hours are First Thursday (April-September) 12-9pm, Thursday 12-6pm, Friday 12-9pm, Saturday 12-6pm, and Sunday 12-6pm (closed on October 1, 2023).